[mythtvnz] New install setup - recording problem

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Thu Aug 4 05:04:55 BST 2016

On Thu, 04 Aug 2016 14:58:55 +1200, you wrote:

>Also, I have a bug in 12.04 that won't let me switch sources in live TV
>(HDHR or PCIe card tuners).The system locks up.
>So what I did to check if the Card tuner wasn't half dead was to reduce
>the number of tuners per device to 1 and record 4 programs from the 3
>MUXs.The tuners did all 4 successfully. Therefore I assume the 2 tuners in
>the card are ok as are the 2 in the HDHR.
>Is my logic correct?

>>> Won't setting the number of tuners (virtual) to 1 force the use of 4
>>> hardware tuners to tune 4 programmes?
>>
>> Sorry i missed that part. Yes that is right. However to check which
>> tuner was used, check the log.
>>

>Quick question: in Backend Setup > Input Connections > Interactions
>Between Inputs,should I create a new input group for each tuner or leave
>it as Generic?
>I am using only Freeview
>
>Cheers

Input groups are only needed when there is mutually exclusive use of
hardware, to tell MythTV that two pieces of hardware can not be used
at the same time.  The usual example was the tuner cards you used to
get that did DVB-T and analogue but only one or the other and not both
at the same time.  But they produced separate tuner devices in Linux
with separate drivers running them.  So you had to put each analogue
tuner in the same input group as its counterpart DVB-T tuner.  Your
HVR-2200 card is that sort of card, but even then, unless you are
configuring and using the analogue inputs in MythTV, there is no need
to set up input groups for its tuners.  The best thing with input
groups is to leave them at their defaults unless you really need to
use them.

If you do need to use input groups, you need to know which analogue
tuner matches which DVB-T tuner, and make sure that the matching
tuners have the same input group, and that input group name is not the
same as any other input group name on any other tuner.  The actual
content of the name you choose is irrelevant, but choosing a good name
helps to understand what it is doing when you come back to it later.