[mythtvnz] New install setup - recording problem

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Tue Aug 2 07:26:19 BST 2016

On Tue, 02 Aug 2016 10:37:42 +1200, you wrote:

>I have left the tuner order as it was in 12.04,all at 1 as it was working
>ok.This may be the problem.
>No hardware changes were made to the network or connections.
>
>Here is the Mysql_information
>
>I am unable to use Live TV to view and select tuners because it
>immediately aborts.However I have confirmed a card tuner works with MeTV
>software I have installed (MeTV doesn't appear to allow tuners to be
>selected)and HDHR tuners work with the HDHR configure GUI( I have switched
>HDHR Tuners).All MUXes work ok on both sets of tuners.
>In FE Information Center > System Status > Tuner Status the HDHR tuners
>are marked "Not Recording" and the card tuners are marked "Has an error"
>
>I also have another problem you may like to comment on: I have enabled
>Myth Welcome and I am fair sure it worked normally to start with.At the
>moment,when the system boots it boots into the XFCE desktop not the
>Welcome screen.Myth Welcome seems to be running because after the 5 minute
>time out the system shutsdown.If I start Myth FE from the desktop it goes
>to the Myth Welcome screen and I can start the FE from there.
>
>Cheers
>
>-Paul

Since the HDHR tuners are not working, with all the order settings at
1 MythTV is likely choosing to use a non-working HDHR tuner at least
50% of the time for LiveTV, and possibly all the time as it may be
choosing by lowest cardid number, which seems to be an HDHR.  So to
get the two internal tuners working, I would recommend setting them as
1 and 2 in both schedorder and livetvorder, with the HDHRs set as 3
and 4.  Once they are all working, you can consider how you really
want to order them.  Some people prefer to have the livetvorder order
the opposite of the schedorder.  I have them set up the same.  They
are set up in mythtv-setup => Input Connections on the second page for
each tuner in the "Schedule order:" and "Live TV order:" fields.

Doing that should be sufficient to get you going on 16.04 with two
working tuners.  Getting the HDHRs working would seem likely to be
some networking problem.  I have never used one myself, so I am not
the best person to help with that, but I do have a lot of networking
experience.  How are the HDHRs connected?  Are they on a separate
Ethernet card on the MythTV box, or are they just on your main
network?  Does the hdhomerun_config discover command see them?  Does
the 16.04 setup see an Internet connection (ie is its networking
working)?  Does it use DHCP or have a static address?  Is there a
firewall installed?

Mythwelcome is another thing I have never used.  I did run across
where it is started from in 16.04, which seems to be the file
/etc/mythtv/session-settings.  You need to uncomment the
MYTHWELCOME=true line in there.  Is that how you are running it?  It
may have changed since 12.04.