[mythtvnz] Problems with backend and mythweb after upgrading to Ubuntu 15.04

Mark markk at kc.net.nz
Mon Oct 26 04:56:11 GMT 2015

On Mon, 2015-10-26 at 11:01 +1300, Stephen Worthington wrote:
> On Mon, 26 Oct 2015 07:41:07 +1300, you wrote:
>
> >I upgraded my Mythbuntu install from 14.04 to 15.04 yesterday and have
> >run into a couple of problems that might interest people.
> >
> >1) Due to the change to systemd Mythtv doesn't auto start after boot.
> >  I'm currently manually starting it using sudo systemctl start
> >mythtv-backend
> >
> >2) Mythweb failed with an unhelpful error in the log  'PHP Fatal error:
> >Call to a member function query_col' which is usually related to having
> >an incorrect password configured.  In this case though it seems to be
> >caused by too low a php memory_limit set
> >in /etc/apache2/sites-enabled/mythweb.conf
> >
> >I changed the old default from 32M to the new default of 64M and it now
> >works.  The configuration line now reads as
> >
> >          php_value memory_limit                  64M
> >
> >Regards
> >Mark
>
> I just checked my php_value memory_limit and it was already set to
> 64M.  But the timestamp on the mythweb.conf file was today at the
> right time for when I did an apt-get update, so I think the 14.04
> 0.27-fixes repo already has this fix.  Maybe the 15.04 0.27-fixes repo
> will also have a fix for your systemd problem.

I'm already using (and was on 14.04)
http://www.ubuntuupdates.org/ppa/mythtv_0.27 so unless there's a
different fixes PPA it never updated my configuration value.

Another problem I've discovered was that external mythtv front ends couldn't connect.
This was due to two problems.
3) UFW firewall is now active on Ubuntu 15.04 and it blocks mysql, for now
I'm disabling the firewall as there's a few other things on my machine that
are probably blocked that shouldn't be.
   sudo ufw disable
4) A different mysql configuration is being used and I had to comment out the bind
address line in it to expose mysql databases.
vi /etc/mysql/mysql.conf.d/mysqld.cnf
#bind-address           = 127.0.0.1