[mythtvnz] Commercials flagging issues

cmacneill at snap.net.nz cmacneill at snap.net.nz
Wed Jan 14 01:47:37 GMT 2015

On 14.01.2015 14:34, Liviu Dunaev wrote:
> Hi Everyone,
>
> I am new to MythTV and to be honest I am still to decide if I am
> going to stick with it.
> At the moment I am playing with a MythTV backend connected to one
> HDHomerun.
> I have a couple of issues, but let me start with the commercials
> flagging one.
>
> I been doing some recording of different TV programs and I can’t see
> the commercials being flagged/removed.
> Maybe I am doing something wrong.
> I can see on the MythWeb on the job Queue that there was a job run
> successful for Flag Commercials.
> For some of the shows there is 0 commercials found, for some I get 1
> or 2.
> But when I am playing the shows (including the ones that have
> commercials marked) I can still see the commercials in the recording.
>
> A few details about my configuration:
> BE: MythTV 0.27.4 (I believe the latest stable one released) running
> on Ubuntu 14.04.
> FE: Both MythTV and XBMC running on Ubuntu 14.04.
>
> Any help will be highly appreciated.
> Please let me know what details of MythTV configuration you would
> like me to provide as well.
>
> Best Regards,
>
> Liviu

Hi Liviu,

For NZ set commercial flagging to use all detection methods, it does
work, but can be a bit random as the TV stations are getting tricky over
how they jump from program content to commercials and I guess that's in
an effort to stop the commercial detection from working or people simply
getting up at the end of a program and making a cup of tea!!

In the UK it was historically somewhat easier, as the main commercial
channel there (ITV) used to have regional companies and they had to have
a synchronisation blank/pause before and after commerical breaks to
ensure the regions all started and stopped commericals at the same time.
It's a while since I've been in the UK so may have changed as the region
system disappeared some years ago.

I wish someone would pass a law forcing TV stations to properly flag
commercials rather than the horrible mish mash of merging end titles and
jumping straight from one program into the next. I guess that's the
"price" we pay for "free" TV.

Regards

Chris