[mythtvnz] High quality cables

Don Robertson don at robertson.net.nz
Fri Feb 13 00:55:59 GMT 2015

Hi all,

Firstly, I found a post in my drafts folder about Kodi - I've given it a go
running from a usb stick and it is very cool. Thanks for suggesting it whoever
it was all that time ago. I am sticking with Myth for my front end - I like
Kodi's Youtube browser but - surprising for a Linux user -  find it does not
give me enough control over recording schedules.

Second, I am not a great believer in spending lots of money on high quality
cables - and I don't think wifi and emf signals are gong to kill me. Just ruin
my spelling.

But. I am moving my Mythbackend machine and my Silicon Dust HD Tuner to
another room. I was using an approx 10m cable to connect the Tuner to the
arial wall socket. I am now trying to run the same cable through the roof
space to the SD Tuner box. But when I do this, I am getting low signal
strengths and cannot lock onto some channels.

I have tried running it as far from electrical cables as I can - without much
(if any) improvement.

If I run a network cable to the AD Tuner and use the short antenna cable that
came with the Silicon Dust tuner, it is fine.

I also notice the Silicon Dust cable is fat, the antenna cables in the roof
space and the 10m cable are not as fat as this, but fatter than some other
antenna patch cables I have lying around.

So - would the electrical cabling affect the antenna cable? Is the stuff used to
wire up the house of different quality to the stuff used to make the patch
cables? And is there any terminology I need to use when trying to find good
quality antenna cable? The stuff I have seen does not look all that fat - but
as I am always telling my wife, size isn't everything.

I am just wanting to make sure all this stuff works before I go putting in wall
sockets and feeding network cable to the front end and so forth.

So any help appreciated. At the moment I have cable all over the floor, and
I'll have to do something about it fairly soon.

Cheers

Don