[mythtvnz] EPG a possible alternative

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Thu Oct 23 03:55:29 BST 2014

On Thu, 23 Oct 2014 14:29:39 +1300, you wrote:

>A couple years ago, some kind people made paid EPG information available
>along with some very helpful user guides on installation. This was really
>good for new people to MythTV, plus it made life easier for all. But
>unfortunately the company that we pay a monthly subscription to decided
>that it would stop this happening.
>
> As a result alternatives were found. But such alternatives are not the
>easiest of things to install and get running especially for people new to
>MythTV. It took me quite a lot of effort to get EPGSnoop up and running.
>
> Going forward a couple of years and there is BitTorrent Sync. My
>understanding is that if read only is used, the data is synced but there is
>no way of tracing where the data is coming from. And as a result the EPG
>data is completely anonymous.
>
> My thought is – is this a EPG delivery method worth considering and would
>there be any support?
>
>Tim

Bittorrent protocol is *not* anonymous.  The IP addresses of anyone
connected via Bittorrent are easy to see in your Bittorrent software,
unless you also use an anonymising service such as a torrent proxy or
an anonymising VPN connection.  However, Bittorrent Sync encrypts the
data, so only people with the encryption key can see what data is
being shared.  I believe it would be possible for anyone to join a
torrent and get a copy of the data being shared, but that copy would
be useless without the key and they would not know what data they had.
But all it would take would be for one person to give away the key,
and then any copies of the data would be able to be decrypted.
Somehow, I do not think the key would remain secret forever.

So I think it would be much better to just keep using epgsnoop.  It is
a bit fiddly to get going, but you only have to do that once.