[mythtvnz] epgsnoop/xmltv-proc-nz/tv_grab_nz-py

Aaron Pelly apelly at monkeymasters.co.nz
Fri Oct 17 03:09:52 BST 2014

> It looks to me like there are a chunk of Python 2 users who are going
> to keep on using Python 2 until forced out of their rut.  But the
> Python devs seem to be very clear about what is happening - no further
> Python 2 development, only bug fixes.  There are already quite useful
> changes in the standard Python 3 libraries that will never be in
> Python 2, and the clean unicode support seems to me to be an excellent
> thing, as we have been bitten by character set problems with our NZ
> EPG more than once.  This situation all reminds me of IPv4 vs IPv6. We
> should all be converted to IPv6 by now, but endless people are just
> ignoring the problem until it bites them badly enough.  And with
> Python, some of the players are companies big enough to be able to
> afford the cost of actually forking Python 2 and keeping on developing
> it, should they choose to.
Yes. All that!
>    The basic problem seems to be that there
> are many more packages available for Python 2 than Python 3.  So
> anyone whose favourite package is 2 only is likely to not want to
> change until that package does.
This too. I couldn't find a anything that looked like a decent
replacement for tvdb_api, which I already had installed, so I guess is
probably favoured by Myth.

Porting this to Python3 has slowed me down by a few days. It doesn't
help that I have no idea what I'm doing :)

I think I'm nearly there.