[mythtvnz] epgsnoop/xmltv-proc-nz/tv_grab_nz-py

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Fri Oct 17 02:06:33 BST 2014

On Fri, 17 Oct 2014 07:19:43 +1300, you wrote:

>On 16/10/14 23:30, Tony Sauri wrote:
>>> This has caused some issues. (Probably) nothing serious, but I know
>>> nothing of the Python ecosystem. I have had to port both the movie and
>>> tv api modules that I was using.
>>>
>>> I know this is not the list for tech-python-speak, but does anyone here
>>> have experience publishing a Python module?
>>>

>>> Did you see this thread across on the mythtv-users list?
>>>
>>> 	http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/577769
>>>
>>> Porting to Python3 might not be important in the short term.
>>>

>I did. And I'm still in two minds.

It looks to me like there are a chunk of Python 2 users who are going
to keep on using Python 2 until forced out of their rut.  But the
Python devs seem to be very clear about what is happening - no further
Python 2 development, only bug fixes.  There are already quite useful
changes in the standard Python 3 libraries that will never be in
Python 2, and the clean unicode support seems to me to be an excellent
thing, as we have been bitten by character set problems with our NZ
EPG more than once.  This situation all reminds me of IPv4 vs IPv6. We
should all be converted to IPv6 by now, but endless people are just
ignoring the problem until it bites them badly enough.  And with
Python, some of the players are companies big enough to be able to
afford the cost of actually forking Python 2 and keeping on developing
it, should they choose to.  The basic problem seems to be that there
are many more packages available for Python 2 than Python 3.  So
anyone whose favourite package is 2 only is likely to not want to
change until that package does.