[mythtvnz] epgsnoop/xmltv-proc-nz/tv_grab_nz-py

Aaron Pelly apelly at monkeymasters.co.nz
Mon Oct 13 23:52:20 BST 2014

On 14/10/14 10:39, David Moore wrote:
> I run a script every hour which runs mhegepgsnoop then
> mythfilldatabase (if mhegepegsnoop finds any EPG updates). I don't
> think I've ever seen any recording glitches due to this and at least
> once every day mhegepgsnoop is reading from the same tuner that is
> recording a show. Maybe something to do with hardware or virtual
> tuners or myth config is causing your problem? I have an HVR2200.
Another data point. Maybe I was just unlucky. I must admit, I can't see
why it would cause problems. Anyway, thanks.
>> xmltv grabber / mhegepgsnoop advice:
>> There's a chicken and egg thing going on with channel configuration
>> here: mhegepgsnoop cunningly looks in mythconverg/channel for
>> configured channels, but xmltv expects you to choose your channels
>> then myth seems to insert them in the channel table for you, if it can.
> Not sure what you mean here. I don't think mythfilldatabase adds
> channels unless maybe you can tell it to? Is there a mythfilldatabase
> option for that? My experience is that I need to manually add new
> channels.
I discovered myth attempting to do it all on its own the other day. I
had some misconfigured tuners;  I was trying to disable DVB-S
temporarily to diagnose reception issues (STILL unresolved, damn it!).
Myth had been happily and incorrectly adding channels for some time. It
took a while to notice because I wasn't using those tuners.

> I usually scan in mythtv and then carefully add any new channels using
> the manual options in scan so I don't trash my existing channel configs.
Tuning is still a black art to me. Everything I touch breaks something.