[mythtvnz] epgsnoop/xmltv-proc-nz/tv_grab_nz-py

Aaron Pelly apelly at monkeymasters.co.nz
Mon Oct 13 23:42:06 BST 2014

On 14/10/14 10:15, Tony Sauri wrote:
> On 14/10/14 00:31, Aaron Pelly wrote:
>> xmltv grabber / mythfilldatabase advice:
>> Will mythfilldatabase run automatically during a recording? Preliminary
>> testing indicates that mhegepgsnoop trashes an in-progress recording,
>> but that could be a coincidence. More testing is required.
> Your message is really great news.
>
> I have been sporadically kicking this issue around over the last couple
> of years and have spent a bit of time working out how to ascertain and
> predict physical tuner status so that an mheg grab will not impact
> in-flight recording.
Interestingly there is a thread along these lines in the international
list right now.

> Unlike most other people I still use rb-download to grab the mmheg data
> but I believe that some of the lessons I have learned should be usable
> with other approaches.
I have failed to hear about rb-download until now (I think). I'll see if
it has any useful fruit in it.
> I could cut the cord to Hads EPG but have not mainly because I do not
> want to lose the benefits of Hads optimisations.
Those optimisations are key.
> So I have just been keeping my code in the bottom drawer against a
> possible future copyright bloodhounds interference again.
That worries me too.

> If you want to explore the use of any of this let me know.
Very much!
> Afterthought:  Hads original idea to Crowd-Source the coding of
> categories etc was inventive and I participated for a while but soon
> found that different people categorise things differently (eg One
> persons drama is another persons soap) and people were stomping over
> each other so it became impossible to set up the schedule your way and
> keep it that way.
With proper title optimisation and TVDB I think this will be less of an
issue. I've seen pretty good results.