[mythtvnz] [SOLVED] Youtube et al audio through HDMI

Robin Gilks g8ecj at gilks.org
Thu Oct 2 23:05:06 BST 2014

> On Thu, 02 Oct 2014 18:22:00 +1300, Robin Gilks <g8ecj at gilks.org> wrote:
>

>>> STILL no flash output though :(
>>
>> 30 seconds after sending this last email, another reboot and its
>> working.
>>
>> I guess the last change to the .asoundrc did it after all but forcing an
>> alsa reload didn't get everything lined up!!
>

> I have been following this discussion with interest,as I have not been
> able to get desktop audio working on my system.Sound test works with
> device 3 but no asound.rc variation I have yet tried,has worked to enable
> sound in flash.
>
> So Robin, you are now using:
>
> pcm.analog {
>          type hw
>          card 0
>          device 0 }
>
> pcm.hdmi0 {
>          type hw
>          card 0
>          device 3 }
>
> pcm.hdmi1 {
>          type hw
>          card 0
>          device 7 }
>
> pcm.hdmi2 {
>          type hw
>          card 0
>          device 8 }
>
> pcm.!default {
>          type  plug
>          slave.pcm "hdmi0" }
>
> as your asound.rc,in it's entirety,with nothing commented out?
> Or am I misreading you?
>
> -Paul

Hi Paul

The file is exactly as quoted, nothing commented out. Its the last section
that selects the actual device to use as the default. I'm sure some of the
file is redundant but it at least documents all the capabilities of the
sound system.

One thing to note however, the name of the file is ".asoundrc" - note the
leading dot and no dot within the name itself. It belongs in the users
home directory.

The same file contents can also be used (where it will apply to all users
if you have more than one) in the '/etc' directory in a file named
'alsa.conf'. In that case nothing is required in the home directory.

Cheers

--
Robin Gilks