[mythtvnz] Youtube et al audio through HDMI

Robin Gilks g8ecj at gilks.org
Thu Oct 2 06:15:53 BST 2014

> On Thu, 2 Oct 2014 09:15:04 +1300, you wrote:
>
>>On Wed, Oct 1, 2014 at 11:38 PM, Robin Gilks <g8ecj at gilks.org> wrote:
>>> Greetings all
>>>
>>> As a new Mythbuntu user, I'm still tweaking the system to suit the way
>>> do things!!
>>>
>>> Most things work apart from flash audio doesn't get to the HDMI output
>>> :(
>>>
>>> I have configured the mythtv audio setup, selecting the output that
>>> works
>>> OK and I'm happy with that. I had to make a similar entry for MythMusic
>>> as
>>> it doesn't appear to default to the same device. Anything using flash
>>> is
>>> silent so I've either got pulse getting in the way or my .asoundrc file
>>> is
>>> incorrect.
>>>
>>> I have studied the alsa setup using aplay which agrees with the
>>> selections
>>> within Myth as above.
>>>  $ aplay -l
>>> **** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
>>> card 0: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], device 0: ALC662 rev1 Analog [ALC662 rev1
>>> Analog]
>>>   Subdevices: 1/1
>>>   Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
>>> card 0: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], device 3: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
>>>   Subdevices: 1/1
>>>   Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
>>> card 0: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], device 7: HDMI 1 [HDMI 1]
>>>   Subdevices: 1/1
>>>   Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
>>> card 0: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], device 8: HDMI 2 [HDMI 2]
>>>   Subdevices: 1/1
>>>   Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
>>>

>>>  $ cat .asoundrc
>>> pcm.!default {
>>>       type hw
>>>       card 0
>>>       device 3
>>>  }
>>> ctl.!default {
>>>     type hw
>>>     card 0
>>>     device 3
>>> }
>>>
>>> Am I heading the right way with this or should I be adding the HDMI
>>> device
>>> to the pulseaudio config and setting that as the default.
>>
>>I didn't think mythbuntu installed pulse, but perhaps times have
>>changed. I wouldn't want pulse anywhere near my media PC.
>>
>>.asoundrc looks good but those device numbers can be confusing - start
>>at 0 and work your way up until it works! speaker-test can be helpful.
>
> I believe that pulseaudio is installed by default on Mythbuntu now and
> has been since 12.04.  But mythfrontend turns it off or bypasses it
> when it is playing things.  I know that on my laptop when I first
> installed 12.04 I had to install a pulse mixer of some sort and use it
> to enable some things to get my sound working.  But after that I have
> not had to touch pulse at all.

Got a little bit further...

Removed pulseaudio package and as expected, no change to Mythtv and now
the .asoundrc file seems to be doing something.

Forcing the alsa device as follows has always worked:
   aplay -v -D plughw:0,3 /usr/share/sounds/alsa/Front_Center.wav
and the -v indicates the device being selected correctly.

Changing the .asoundrc file to include all hardware devices (so I could
select them in turn) looks like this:
 $ cat .asoundrc
pcm.analog {
        type hw
        card 0
        device 0 }

pcm.hdmi0 {
        type hw
        card 0
        device 3 }

pcm.hdmi1 {
        type hw
        card 0
        device 7 }

pcm.hdmi2 {
        type hw
        card 0
        device 8 }

pcm.!default {
        type  plug
        slave.pcm "hdmi0" }

As can be seen this relates directly to the 'aplay -l' output I related
earlier.

I can now use aplay without the hadware spec and get output:
   aplay -v /usr/share/sounds/alsa/Front_Center.wav
and the -v reveals that the correct device from .asoundrc is used
   Slave: Hardware PCM card 0 'HDA Intel PCH' device 3 subdevice 0

STILL no flash output though :(

--
Robin Gilks