[mythtvnz] Youtube et al audio through HDMI

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Thu Oct 2 05:44:30 BST 2014

On Thu, 2 Oct 2014 09:15:04 +1300, you wrote:

>On Wed, Oct 1, 2014 at 11:38 PM, Robin Gilks <g8ecj at gilks.org> wrote:
>> Greetings all
>>
>> As a new Mythbuntu user, I'm still tweaking the system to suit the way I
>> do things!!
>>
>> Most things work apart from flash audio doesn't get to the HDMI output :(
>>
>> I have configured the mythtv audio setup, selecting the output that works
>> OK and I'm happy with that. I had to make a similar entry for MythMusic as
>> it doesn't appear to default to the same device. Anything using flash is
>> silent so I've either got pulse getting in the way or my .asoundrc file is
>> incorrect.
>>
>> I have studied the alsa setup using aplay which agrees with the selections
>> within Myth as above.
>>  $ aplay -l
>> **** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
>> card 0: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], device 0: ALC662 rev1 Analog [ALC662 rev1
>> Analog]
>>   Subdevices: 1/1
>>   Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
>> card 0: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], device 3: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
>>   Subdevices: 1/1
>>   Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
>> card 0: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], device 7: HDMI 1 [HDMI 1]
>>   Subdevices: 1/1
>>   Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
>> card 0: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], device 8: HDMI 2 [HDMI 2]
>>   Subdevices: 1/1
>>   Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
>>

>>  $ cat .asoundrc
>> pcm.!default {
>>       type hw
>>       card 0
>>       device 3
>>  }
>> ctl.!default {
>>     type hw
>>     card 0
>>     device 3
>> }
>>
>> Am I heading the right way with this or should I be adding the HDMI device
>> to the pulseaudio config and setting that as the default.
>
>I didn't think mythbuntu installed pulse, but perhaps times have
>changed. I wouldn't want pulse anywhere near my media PC.
>
>.asoundrc looks good but those device numbers can be confusing - start
>at 0 and work your way up until it works! speaker-test can be helpful.

I believe that pulseaudio is installed by default on Mythbuntu now and
has been since 12.04.  But mythfrontend turns it off or bypasses it
when it is playing things.  I know that on my laptop when I first
installed 12.04 I had to install a pulse mixer of some sort and use it
to enable some things to get my sound working.  But after that I have
not had to touch pulse at all.