[mythtvnz] Etiquette

Nick Rout nick.rout at gmail.com
Mon May 26 04:07:45 BST 2014

On Mon, May 26, 2014 at 2:44 PM, Aaron Pelly <apelly at monkeymasters.co.nz> wrote:
> OK;
>
> Although I have googled for them I haven't any specific document regarding
> list etiquette, just a couple of posts saying:
> - Bottom post.
> - Plain text.
>
> With regards to the latter, I have no bloody idea how to get thunderbird to
> do plain text when composing an email. I have a myth-list contact set up to
> prefer plain text, but I do not know what you guys see, so sorry. If I'm
> doing it wrong let me know and I will do more research.

Thank you for caring about this, I mainly seem to get negative

The email I am replying to came through as plain text, so that is
fine. I have to say since I atrted using gmail I am probably guilty of
html mail at times, but what we really hate is lots of colour,
differing fonts, incorrect quoting etc.

> Specifically though, my last email had a plain text attachment. I do not
> know if this is allowed or preferred. How should logs be posted please?

If you want to attach a plain text file that is fine, but possibly
better to name it .txt so that when people click it it will be opened
in a useful fashion, given that most people are using gui based
systems these days.

However probably the best way (considering I limit email size) is to
post to pastebin.com or similar service and then post the url. Ubuntu
has in its repo a handy utility called pastebinit (sudo apt-get
install pastebinit) which you can then use, eg

pastebinit /var/log/mythtv/mythfrontend.log

or

grep thebitsiwant /var/log/mythtv/mythfrontend.log|pastebinit

pastebinit leaves the url behind on the command line where you can
copy and paste to an email.

Similarly pictures or videos are best put on something like imgur or
vimeo and post the link. Do remember though that all these methods
make your log/pic/video public, so do check for passwords/usernames
etc.

Nick (list owner)