[mythtvnz] Mythfrontend hangs hard when starting live tv

Aaron Pelly apelly at monkeymasters.co.nz
Mon May 19 10:46:16 BST 2014

On 16/05/14 10:36, Aaron Pelly wrote:
> I have 2 hauppauge hvr 4000 dvb-s/s2/t cards in my backend (wtf?) I have
> only set up two devices; 2 x dvb-s. I have had trouble setting up the
> channels. I noticed that one of the discovered Prime channels seemed not
> to tune, and caused the frontend (on the server) to hang (error: could
> not read first 2048 megabytes) This required killing mythfrontend.real.
> Subsequent attempts to watch live TV caused the same issue, presumably
> as it attempts to start from the last channel watched. I'm guessing
> here. The backend doesn't seem to complain. Maybe I should adjust some
> timeout somewhere?
>
> If anyone could shed some light on this, or has a relevant
> troubleshooting link handy, I would be grateful.
>
> Thanks,
> Aaron.

Very wrong assumptions on my part.

(and the error was actually 2048 bytes, not megabytes)

Found this:
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/530123?do=post_view_threaded#530123

 > Found the problem. On my standalone frontend i had mapped a NFS share
 > to my backend with the same path as the backend uses for recordings.
 > So i guess the frontend tried to open the file "locally" instead of
 > communicating with the backend.
 >
 > Just have to change the sharename on the frontend.

Although in my case it was a samba share. Dismounting it stops the problem.

This seems like a bug to me. If others agree I will report it.

Aaron.