[mythtvnz] DVB-T in the city

Aaron Pelly apelly at monkeymasters.co.nz
Fri May 16 00:50:05 BST 2014

On 16/05/14 11:19, Nick Rout wrote:
> On Fri, May 16, 2014 at 10:46 AM, Aaron Pelly
> <apelly at monkeymasters.co.nz> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I live in an apartment building in the city.
> Which city?
Auckland, as you guessed, but I thought the question might apply to
cities in general.

>> I think there is a chance that
>> DVB-T is available on the same coax as the outlet I currently use for DVB-S.
>> Is this a stupid thought?
>>
> Unfortunately yes. The DVB-S cable is likely connected to a satellite
> dish. The satellite dish will not receive DVB-T signals. So unless
> they have used some weird way of multiplexing DVB-T and DVB-S on the
> same cable, that ain't gonna work.
I had imagined some sort of weird multiplexing, yes. I have a friend who
recently had an antenna guy sort his stuff out for him, and both signals
arrive in the house on a single coax. There is a splitter inside, but I
don't know if it has any filtering in it.

I also recall my landlord saying a previous tenant used to get analog TV
here, via the same old coax. I doubt their capacity to understand though.

>> If not, what are the chances of buying or bodging up a working Belling-Lee
>> to F connector? Also, though there is a (slim) chance that the top of my
>> building has line of sight to some transmitter or another, how badly do
>> reflections affect DVB-T?
>>
> Very much a case by case thing. Freeviewnz.tv has a system where you
> put in your address and it tells you where your signal should come
> from. At least then with google maps or something you might get an
> idea of which direction to look in! If it is Auckaland I believe they
> transmit from SkyTower - do you have a line of sight to it? If you can
> see it out your window, you should try an indoor antenna.
I can not see the SkyTower, but the top of my building may. If you see
what I mean.

I see DSE sells an adaptor/flylead for an outrageous price. Maybe I
should simply fork out $20 and suck it and see.