[mythtvnz] DVB-T in the city

Nick Rout nick.rout at gmail.com
Fri May 16 00:19:40 BST 2014

On Fri, May 16, 2014 at 10:46 AM, Aaron Pelly
<apelly at monkeymasters.co.nz> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I live in an apartment building in the city.

Which city?

>I think there is a chance that
> DVB-T is available on the same coax as the outlet I currently use for DVB-S.
> Is this a stupid thought?

Unfortunately yes. The DVB-S cable is likely connected to a satellite
dish. The satellite dish will not receive DVB-T signals. So unless
they have used some weird way of multiplexing DVB-T and DVB-S on the
same cable, that ain't gonna work.

> If not, what are the chances of buying or bodging up a working Belling-Lee
> to F connector? Also, though there is a (slim) chance that the top of my
> building has line of sight to some transmitter or another, how badly do
> reflections affect DVB-T?

Very much a case by case thing. Freeviewnz.tv has a system where you
put in your address and it tells you where your signal should come
from. At least then with google maps or something you might get an
idea of which direction to look in! If it is Auckaland I believe they
transmit from SkyTower - do you have a line of sight to it? If you can
see it out your window, you should try an indoor antenna.