[mythtvnz] Recordings not happening without a reboot

Steve Hodge stevehodge at gmail.com
Sat Jun 21 06:46:43 BST 2014

On Sat, Jun 21, 2014 at 5:24 PM, Nick Rout <nick.rout at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Jun 20, 2014 at 11:10 PM, Steve Hodge <stevehodge at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > My problems were probably more to do with running Gentoo that updating
> Myth
> > per se.
>
> Yeah at least in a ubuntu LTS environment you know your versions of
> kernel lirc etc  won't change markedly until you update to the next
> LTS 2 years later.

There's a lot to be said for that. I run Gentoo because it's great for
learning about how a complete Linux system works and I like being able to
see exactly which software depends on what. But it really needs to be keep
up to date because if too many packages are updated at once there are
inevitably problems. Even updating 6 monthly is not frequent enough but I
just don't have the time. However, I'm not excited by the idea of
reinstalling with something else either.

> Having said that I use a remote that is purely HID based and doesn't
> touch or depend on lirc. It has an easily configurable keymap and is
> easy to switch keymaps when, eg, switching from myth to xbmc and back.

I don't bother with a remote at all, I use a wireless keyboard (one
designed for couch use). But I still need lirc to drive the Sky box.

> I also use HDHR tuners which are less likely to suffer problems on a
> kernel update than a PCI or USB tuner.

If I go to DVB-T I'll certainly be getting a HDHR. It looks to be clearly
the best solution.

> >Issues like updated myth core packages without updated plugins such
> > as mythmusic or mythvideo.
>
> Don't do music on the TV and I use xbmc for videos, but yes that would
> present a problem.

I don't really do music these days either. I'd switch to xbmc but we use
timestretch a lot and I think that's still not implemented in xmbc, right?

Cheers,