[mythtvnz] Recordings not happening without a reboot

Nick Rout nick.rout at gmail.com
Sat Jun 21 06:24:19 BST 2014

On Fri, Jun 20, 2014 at 11:10 PM, Steve Hodge <stevehodge at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 20, 2014 at 10:03 PM, Nick Rout <nick.rout at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Fri, Jun 20, 2014 at 9:53 PM, Steve Hodge <stevehodge at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> > And once it's working, don't mess with it. Don't upgrade myth unless
>> > there
>> > is some feature that you really want and don't upgrade anything else at
>> > all.
>> > I don't even bother with security related updates - my myth box is not
>> > accessible from the internet.
>>
>> I have to say I update myth all the time with no problems (although
>> always latest+fixes, never master). But then again I don't mess with
>> the database manually, I don't install plugins that mess with the dB,
>> I use LTS releases of ubuntu only. My database has kept going through
>> many versions now, I'm not sure how to tell how old it is but at least
>> since 2008. In fact June 16 2008 is my oldest (although not
>> necessarily the first on this database.) I guess I missed that
>> anniversary by a few days!
>

> My problems were probably more to do with running Gentoo that updating Myth
> per se.

Yeah at least in a ubuntu LTS environment you know your versions of
kernel lirc etc  won't change markedly until you update to the next
LTS 2 years later.

Having said that I use a remote that is purely HID based and doesn't
touch or depend on lirc. It has an easily configurable keymap and is
easy to switch keymaps when, eg, switching from myth to xbmc and back.

I also use HDHR tuners which are less likely to suffer problems on a
kernel update than a PCI or USB tuner.

>Issues like updated myth core packages without updated plugins such
> as mythmusic or mythvideo.

Don't do music on the TV and I use xbmc for videos, but yes that would
present a problem.