[mythtvnz] Recordings not happening without a reboot

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Fri Jun 20 02:31:40 BST 2014

On Fri, 20 Jun 2014 08:05:12 +1200, you wrote:

>On 19/06/2014 11:39 PM, Stephen Worthington wrote:
>> On Thu, 19 Jun 2014 22:40:01 +1200, you wrote:
>>> Not sure if this still happens in the latest version (I'm still on
>>> 0.25.something), but another possibility is if a drive a storage group
>>> uses was accessible when the backend starts but becomes inaccessible
>>> some time after. Doesn't have to be an active storage group either. I
>>> added an 'old' storage group to that accessed a share on a NAS. If the
>>> NAS was initially visible to Myth but disappears (e.g. I turned it
>>> off) recordings after the drive disappeared failed even though the
>>> 'old' storage group is never recorded directly to. I can't recall
>>> whether the failure was logged.
>> That is not a problem if you make sure you have one level of directory
>> on the drive for the storage group.  If you have a partition mounted
>> as /mnt/rec3 say, and then have the storage group write directly to
>> /mnt/rec3, then there is no way for mythbackend to know if the drive
>> is there or if it will end up storing to the root partition because
>> the drive is unmounted.  But if you make a recordings directory on the
>> drive and set the storage group to point to that, ie to
>> /mnt/rec3/recordings, then mythbackend will know that the drive is
>> unmounted if it can not see the recordings directory and will not
>> write to that storage group.
>>

>Thanks, I may not have done that, I'll have to try it again. This
>storage group was never written to (no recording schedules used it) but
>I assume the backend tests it anyway.

I have never checked the code, but I have always assumed that
mythbackend only checked the storage groups whenever it wrote to them.
When it displays the Watch Recordings list, it checks each recording
file to see if it can find it in any storage group and greys out any
it can not find, so that is done on a file-by-file basis rather than
on a per storage group basis.  The database does not store the
location of recording files - MythTV has to search all storage groups
each time it wants to find a recording file.  Which is really useful
as you can then easily move recording files to a new storage group on
a new drive when you run out of space.