[mythtvnz] No HDMI sound output in desktop (Mythtv ok)

Chris Bannister cbannister at slingshot.co.nz
Tue Jun 17 16:03:22 BST 2014

On Tue, Jun 17, 2014 at 07:16:23PM +1200, Criggie wrote:
> Paulgir wrote, On 17/06/14 18:29:
> > Anyway, when they sell you that 3D TV that sounds like a duck quacking
> > they can also sell you that 1000W per channel digital output
> > stage,sound system.(funny,they never sound like 1000W.Todays watts
> > must be smaller than they used to be)
>
> You're confusing Imperial Watts (W) with Metric Wankers (also W)
>
> Did you know the average sound output for a 50 strong brass band is
> about 5 watts?

Have you got any sources. A watt is an electrical measurement, was it
fed through a microphone then measured with a meter? I assume you are
talking RMS.

Figures are normally given in db as far as human hearing is concerned,
but even that is deceptive as a db is a ratio. Then there are all the
different types of db: dbm, dbr, dbmO etc, etc.

E.g. you hear that a jet airplane has a noise level of 125db - is that
compared to silence? (I suppose air pressure has a lot to do with it.)

But I agree, a good 'honest' 10W amplifier is ample for most listening.

oppressing." --- Malcolm X