[mythtvnz] No HDMI sound output in desktop (Mythtv ok)

Paulgir paulgir at gmail.com
Sun Jun 15 20:03:03 BST 2014

On Mon, 16 Jun 2014 04:39:36 +1200, Jean-Yves Avenard
<jyavenard at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 15 June 2014 14:44, Nick Rout <nick.rout at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> alsa provides perfectly good audio capabilities until you want system
>> sounds or other applications' audio mixed with your myth/xbmc output.
>> And frankly, for a dedicated media PC, why would you?
>
> ALSA provides "dmix" devices, which will do just that: mix various
> sources into one output..
>
> no need for pulse there either

So are you saying that if I choose the correct dmix device listed via:
aplay -L on my system I can get desktop sound to work via HDMI output?For
instance,something such as:
pcm.!default {
	type dmix
	card 1
            device 9
}
in asound.conf.I think I may have tried those variations,but it is
possible that I didn't.