[mythtvnz] Possibly off topic - HDD recovery

Noel & Diane noel at igrin.co.nz
Thu Jun 12 21:45:43 BST 2014

On 12/06/2014 7:09 p.m., criggie wrote:

>Thanks for the replies, the phrase "preaching to the converted" comes to
>mind...along with thoughts of reincarnation of conversions and ones own
>preachings....!!! I'll not bore the list with the series of partially
>valid excuses.... Suffice to say its not a total loss, yet its still of
>enough nuisance to warrant the three figure expenditure.... and no its
>not a myth recording disc, however I know there will be listers in this
>boat sooner or later who could be the meat in the sandwich getting some
>serious pressure to fix similar....with WAF possibly the source of the
>torque on the rack...!!!

Speaking of torque, I read an interesting article about frame distortion
in HDDs, causing head crashes
& the clicks-of-death.  One of the methods discussed prior to physical
repair, was to back off the
cover-screws a quarter turn and then re-torque them with a
"torquemaster" screwdriver.  Apparently
this fixed a number of the drives right there!
The article then went on to discuss swapping the platters to a known
good drive of an identical
model type.