[mythtvnz] Audio levels significantly different across different channels

Duncan Kennington duncan.kennington at gmail.com
Sun Jun 8 07:25:29 BST 2014

On 6/06/2014 3:57 PM, <cmacneill at snap.net.nz> wrote:

> Thanks from the feedback from various people regarding the different
audio formats, this does seem to ring a bell as my MythTV HDMI output goes
through a Marantz Home Theatre amplifier before the TV. I had to return
this unit for repair a while back, so settings have been switched back and
forth between 5.1 and stereo, so I may have ended up with different
settings from original leading to the differences in volume. At least I
know where to start looking now.

> Sorry I didn't mention the Marantz amplifier earlier, it just sits there
and I forgot about it!

Some Marantz amps have an automatic dynamic range compression and volume
levelling feature called MDAX or somesuch. That can mask the problem
remarkably well...