[mythtvnz] SSD Drives for video

Worik Stanton worik.stanton at gmail.com
Sun Jun 8 05:34:29 BST 2014

On the subject of using an SSD for recording onto...

On 05/06/14 19:28, Pieter De Wit wrote:
> Personally, I would avoid this as the ssd will wear out

I expect that Pieter is thinking of memory wear
(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flash_memory#Memory_wear).

I am using my 30G SSD drive while my net-storage device is in the shop
getting fixed.  I do not believe I am in danger of encountering problems
with my SSD in this period.  But have been thinking that I will not be
buying mechanical discs again.   Pieter's comments are food for thought
and it is worth examining the issues.

http://www.snia.org/sites/default/files/SSSI_NAND_Reliability_White_Paper_0.pdf
says:

"Another peculiarity of NAND Flash as a storage medium is its increasing
susceptibility to bit errors after having gone through a certain number
of program-erase (P/E) cycles.The number of cycles varies, depending on
density (storage capacity per physical area), vendor, and NAND Flash
type. Generally speaking, SLC is usually rated for ~100,000 P/E cycles,
whereas MLC Flash is usually rated for ~5,000-10,000 P/E cycles. NAND
Flash also becomes less reliable over time when unpowered."

SLC is the older variety and MLC the newer variety, AFAICT.  Odd that
newer varieties should be less durable.

But for our purposes, recording video, surely even 5 to 10 K cycles
would be OK?

Cost is clearly an issue, with TB hard discs being so cheap c/f SSD, but
 what are people's thoughts on using SSDs in Myth?  Is it worth the
extra cost?  Is it worse than spinning discs (due to the limited P/E
cycle)?

What are people's experiences?

Worik
--
The only true evil is turning people into things....
                                         Granny Weatherwax