[mythtvnz] Pixelation/Corrupt recordings

Steve Hodge stevehodge at gmail.com
Mon Jul 7 00:23:06 BST 2014

On Mon, Jul 7, 2014 at 10:59 AM, Aaron Pelly <apelly at monkeymasters.co.nz>
wrote:

> Hardware:
> - core2 duo ~3GHz
> - 4G RAM
> - many 7200rpm HDDs, but with only two configured as storage groups.
> drives are currently ntfs. This will change in the next few days.
> - 2 HVR4000 tuners
> - Cheapo Nvidia card, (gt9500?), doubt that's relevant.
>
> I do have a motherboard with a core2 quad and 8G ram that I'll probably
> stick in the backend this week. Maybe I should just try that first?

You've got more than enough CPU and RAM  for recording, I doubt this will
help unless there is something else running on the box?

> I don't have a lot of (any?) clues showing up to help me track this
> annoyance down, but here is list, in no particular order, of a mixture of
> superstition, suspicion, notes, and anecdotes:
>
> - mplayer can't play the recordings either

So it's definitely a problem in recording.

> - it might be worse when there are multiple simultaneous recordings
> - it comes and goes
> - might be worse when the backend has low ram
> - seems a bit better after rebooting the backend
> - not sure if it affects dvbs or just dvbt
> - i haven't done the math for required throughput for the HDDs or the PCI
> bus.

If it's not consistently happening with simultaneous recordings it's
probably not a throughput issue. You could try recording say 6 things at
once to test this. Is there anything else hitting those drives? What about
the drive with the database?

Of course, this might be simply bad reception. I haven't seen any
> correlation with terrestrial weather. Have not looked at solar weather.

Bad reception would be my guess. Does it happen during live TV?

Cheers,