[mythtvnz] Pixelation/Corrupt recordings

Aaron Pelly apelly at monkeymasters.co.nz
Sun Jul 6 23:59:34 BST 2014

Hi guys, I'm looking for some pointers to troubleshoot corrupt recordings.

At various times, with various degrees of intensity, my recordings are
not happening cleanly. Sometimes it doesn't happen, sometimes it is mild
enough to ignore, sometimes it makes a recording totally unwatchable.
The messages below are the only thing I have managed to find in the logs
(messages repeat during playback). The backend doesn't seem to complain
during the recording, but that might be because I don't have the best
logging options set.

Jul  7 10:08:56 crepitus mythfrontend.real: mythfrontend[25257]: E
Decoder avformatdecoder.cpp:4709 (ProcessAudioPacket) AFD: Unknown audio
decoding error
Jul  7 10:08:58 crepitus mythfrontend.real: mythfrontend[25257]: E
Decoder videobuffers.cpp:283 (GetNextFreeFrame) GetNextFreeFrame()
unable to lock frame 100 times. Discarding Frames.

Hardware:
- core2 duo ~3GHz
- 4G RAM
- many 7200rpm HDDs, but with only two configured as storage groups.
drives are currently ntfs. This will change in the next few days.
- 2 HVR4000 tuners
- Cheapo Nvidia card, (gt9500?), doubt that's relevant.

I do have a motherboard with a core2 quad and 8G ram that I'll probably
stick in the backend this week. Maybe I should just try that first?

I don't have a lot of (any?) clues showing up to help me track this
annoyance down, but here is list, in no particular order, of a mixture
of superstition, suspicion, notes, and anecdotes:

- mplayer can't play the recordings either
- it might be worse when there are multiple simultaneous recordings
- it comes and goes
- might be worse when the backend has low ram
- seems a bit better after rebooting the backend
- not sure if it affects dvbs or just dvbt
- i haven't done the math for required throughput for the HDDs or the
PCI bus.

- I have seen this with gbpvr on the same hardware, using dvbs only and
it seemed to be primarily caused by lack of ram. I doubt it's relevant,
I only mention it for completeness.

Of course, this might be simply bad reception. I haven't seen any
correlation with terrestrial weather. Have not looked at solar weather.

I feel lazy asking you guys for more help. I know I can solve this if I
spend enough time googling, but I feel like so many things could be
causing this. Some clues to narrow it down would be a bit of a treat really.

Thanks,
Aaron.