[mythtvnz] Cannot see videos from frontend

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Sat Jan 11 15:58:49 GMT 2014

On Fri, 10 Jan 2014 18:09:46 +1300, you wrote:

>I have a frontend/backend setup with a frontend on the backend also.
>
>I have a USB drive attached to the backend that holds videos.
>
>I can see the videos using the front end on the backend but not from the
>remote  frontend.
>
>It reports no "There are no videos  in the database, would you like to
>scan your cideo directories now?"  And then it quickly reports "The
>video scan found no files, have you configured a video storage group?"
>
>There is nothing in the backend log and in the front end it says:
>
>Jan 10 18:05:51 bruce mythfrontend[1408]: I VideoScanner
>videoscan.cpp:163 (run) Beginning Video Scan.
>Jan 10 18:05:51 bruce mythfrontend[1408]: I VideoScanner
>videoscan.cpp:391 (buildFileList) buildFileList directory =
>myth://Videos@noam/media/Videos/
>Jan 10 18:05:51 bruce mythfrontend[1408]: I VideoScanner dirscan.cpp:259
>(ScanVideoDirectory) MythVideo::ScanVideoDirectory Scanning Group
>(myth://Videos@noam/media/Videos/)
>

>That seems OK to me.
>
>I can watch and record live TV, make and watch scheduled recordings.  I
>have listings almost working etcetera.  But this has me stumped.  Where
>to from here?
>
>cheers
>Worik

There are two ways to set up videos - either using directories
directly accessed by the frontend, or using storage groups.  With the
former, the directories need to be mapped by CIFS or NFS onto each
frontend.  That sounds like your problem - the remote frontend can not
see the directories.  If you choose to use storage groups, the backend
provides the files to all frontends, but there are some limitations,
such as not being able to use an alternate player program (which I
find is necessary for quite a few wmv files).