[mythtvnz] Script help please

Adam Bennetts abennetts at gmail.com
Tue Jan 7 21:26:56 GMT 2014

On 7/01/2014 11:55 PM, tortise wrote:
> On 7/01/2014 7:12 p.m., Nick Rout wrote:
>> As an aside, there is no real need to run mythlink from cron, myth has
>> an events interface, so you can run it when a recording starts or
>> stops or whatever.
>
> I'm not sure it would be good to run the script concurrently say three
> times when three recordings stop at the same time (as an example)?

I have mythlink.pl (rather than mythlinks.sh) configured as described at
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Mythlink.pl to run on recording start (can't
remember why I decided on recording start rather than end). Never
noticed any issues with it being run concurrently, I have it configured
to only create a symlink for the new recording so it doesn't replace all
symlinks every time.

I have a nightly cron job to tidy up old links (deleted recordings) but
I should clean up and move that to system events (delete, expire) as well.

> I suppose the script could be revised to not run when its running but
> I am not sure that really gains anything extra as I see no harm in it
> running every hour, acknowledging that many times it would achieve
> nothing, I suppose it could also be revised to run only if there is a
> change....

Well, if it works, it works.