[mythtvnz] Editing/cutting

Tony Sauri hoiho.nz at gmail.com
Mon Aug 4 22:49:10 BST 2014

On 04/08/14 21:27, Nick Rout wrote:

> 1. avidemux will not allow me to 'scrub' through the file with the
> slider to find the cut points, and
>
> 2. Even when I manage to get some cut points and re-encode, the audio
> is out of sync.
>
> Tips?

When I first came to Myth (V 0.21) I did not have a NZ DVB-T H.264
capable front-end and I spent quite some time learning how to re-encode
to mpeg so I could watch my favourite shows.  The process was quite
unsettling though and I was never sure if I had all the audio sync
problems sorted

However sanity prevailed and I eventually settled on a nvidia ion-2
based device for a front end so I haven't done much editing and
re-encoding since.

As far as NZ goes I believe that mythtv and H.264 is pretty broken for
most things other than vanilla recording and playback ( although
commercial detection seems to have improved vastly in the last 12 months).

I have kept an eye on mythtv-users  and any threads that cover editing
and re-encoding and there has been some discussion and development of
scripts by UK users trying to make H.264 a better fit but IIRC there
still seems to significant problems around the "lossless-cut" function
(e.g. only re-encode the few frames around a cut so as to avoid having
to re-encode the whole file).  ( Google the list and search the wiki :-) ).

I recently grabbed a NZ DVB-T clip from Al Jazera and processed it
through avidemux and ffmpeg/avconv  with some success (caveat: no real
way to detect audio sync issues as no spoken dialogue with talking
heads).  This was done on my Xubuntu 14.04 system using the latest
versions available of avconv and avidemux.

What are your target formats and media?  It maybe that your best choice
will be to re-encode the who;e file to mpeg/target  formats first that
load into avidemux for editinf.

Regards

Tony Sauri