[mythtvnz] Ubuntu/Mythbuntu 14.04 Upgrade

Mark markk at kc.net.nz
Mon Apr 28 09:40:45 BST 2014

As I wanted newer versions of some non mythtv software I upgraded my
server (which is also my primary desktop) yesterday.  Most of the
upgrade went smoothly but I did run into two problems, one major, one
not so.

There is a problem that can occur that causes grub2 not to boot
(https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/grub2/+bug/1289977).  A
developer has closed the bug report regarding this a number of times
saying that it isn't an upgrade problem but an issue for power users who
have manually installed grub in the past (despite the problem also
happening for non power users who have done basic installs).  The dev's
recommended remedy of 'dpkg-reconfigure grub-pc' didn't fix the problem
for me but reinstalling grub using a boot repair disk did, I then
subsequently ran 'dpkg-reconfigure grub-pc' so hopefully this won't be a
problem in the future.

The second problem I had was a missing symbolic link that caused mythweb
to not work.  I fixed this with
sudo ln -s /usr/share/mythtv/mythweb /var/www/mythweb

The mythweb bug is marked as having being fixed but I still encountered
it so maybe I was just unlucky with when my upgrade downloaded the
packages.