[mythtvnz] Upgrade/Reinstall tips

criggie criggie at criggie.org.nz
Mon Sep 23 10:51:54 BST 2013

On 23/09/13 20:29, Rob Connolly wrote:
> I'm gearing up to do a full reinstall of my Mythbox since my nearly two year old arch system is feeling increasingly fragile (I haven't touched
> it in months because every time I do pacman breaks something).
>
> The plan is to go completely the other way and install debian stable + backports + debian-multmedia. That should hopefully make it
> stable and maintainable for the forsessable future. I've also invested in a RAM upgrade and an SSD and after some of the issues I've had with
> HDD write speed (documented on this list), I'm going to ditch LVM+EXT4 and go with XFS on my RAID 1 array.
>
> As far as I can tell the backup/restore process looks fairly simple for myth, just backup/restore the database and recordings.
>
> I was wondering if there are any gotchas I should look out for? Or any tips that anyone can pass on to speed up the process?
>
> I'm also hoping to try out XBMC as an alternative to mythfrontend, since I see it now has mythtv integration and also integrates with MPD.
> Can anyone comment on how well the PVR functionality works?

PFFT  two years?   Mine was installed in 2005 and the only two annoying
things are the architecture is i386 and the disks are getting old.  sda
is at 86159 power on hours.
Actually now I think about it, none of the hardware other than one tuner
card is in common with the original backend box.

Pick your battles - install a distro and myth on the backend separately
to faffing with xbmc.

If you can install to a different disk (and save your original root
disk) then a restore is as easy as changing disks.

Set aside a whole day, make sure there's no lotto draw or anything TV
boredcast that swmbo needs to see.

And if it all goes suspiciously well, something's broken AND hiding from
you.

Cynical?  Yes - its a geek occupational hazard.

--
Criggie

http://criggie.org.nz/