[mythtvnz] TV and monitor on one PC. Sane?

Nick Rout nick.rout at gmail.com
Wed Oct 9 04:50:44 BST 2013

On Wed, Oct 9, 2013 at 11:32 AM, Aaron Pelly <apelly at monkeymasters.co.nz>wrote:

> I have a mate who's interested in a PC running ubuntu and myth. Which
> should be reasonable. The PC will probably be in close proximity to the TV,
> making an HDMI cable plausible. I'm wondering if myth will happily run on
> one monitor, the TV, while his other monitor is used for general computing.
> Further to this, for lounge chair use, can a remote be set up for either
> just the TV monitor, or just myth?
>
> I hope this is clear. I'm sure I could set something up along these lines
> for him, after some research, but I don't need to reinvent the wheel if you
> guys already know of similar solutions. The guy is reasonably tech savvy,
> and happy to fiddle a bit. WAF is not an issue. But anything that's too
> high maintenance probably won't be acceptable.

I agree with what Hads said, far easier to get a cheap PC as a frontend.

Another point: the remote acts as an input device for the whole computer,
usually these days it acts like a keyboard and sends a key to the input
subsystem. Whatever program has focus receives the key. Open a terminal on
your mythfrontend and see...