[mythtvnz] TV and monitor on one PC. Sane?

Hadley Rich hads at nice.net.nz
Wed Oct 9 00:04:04 BST 2013

On 09/10/13 11:32, Aaron Pelly wrote:
> I have a mate who's interested in a PC running ubuntu and myth. Which
> should be reasonable. The PC will probably be in close proximity to the
> TV, making an HDMI cable plausible. I'm wondering if myth will happily
> run on one monitor, the TV, while his other monitor is used for general
> computing. Further to this, for lounge chair use, can a remote be set up
> for either just the TV monitor, or just myth?
>
> I hope this is clear. I'm sure I could set something up along these
> lines for him, after some research, but I don't need to reinvent the
> wheel if you guys already know of similar solutions. The guy is
> reasonably tech savvy, and happy to fiddle a bit. WAF is not an issue.
> But anything that's too high maintenance probably won't be acceptable.

I've done this before and it wasn't that fun.

I set it up as dual screen and there were issues with focus and
applications wanting to use the wrong screen and such.

It may be better with multiple X displays but you may also run into
issues with acceleration, I don't know I haven't tried that way.

Regardless, it's a vastly more complex a set up than separate boxes. It
will work, you just have to decide whether you are happy to deal with
all the issues or not.

hads
--
http://nice.net.nz