[mythtvnz] HTPC Configuration for combined front/back end

Criggie criggie at criggie.org.nz
Sun Nov 17 23:50:24 GMT 2013

Nick Rout wrote, On 11/18/2013 12:05 PM:
> On Fri, Nov 8, 2013 at 2:34 PM, Bruce Wilson <acaferacer at gmail.com> wrote:
>> HP XW4600 Workstation Intel Dual Core
>> http://www.trademe.co.nz/computers/desktops/no-monitor/auction-658948479.htm
> Pros: 5 sata headers on the motherboard, plus an addin card with 4 more.
Another con that might bite you in the backside... depending on how the
drives are detected they may be "raid devices" and impossible to read on
other hardware.   I'm assuming that there's a raid controller involved.

> Cons: Only designed for two 3.5 inch drives plus a floppy slot plus 3x5.25in slots.
>
> Solution: (1) I managed to put a hard drive in the floppy slot at the expense of the bevel fitting back on the front properly. I think sugru or blutack will sort that.
You can remove the drive cage from the machine, and carefully drill four
new screw holes in the right places.  The threads are in the drive, so
slightly oversized is okay.
> (2) I am hoping that one of these http://www.computerlounge.co.nz/components/componentview.asp?partid=15402 will enable me to tidily put up to 4 hard drives where the three 5.25 slots are (I don't need a dvd drive).

http://www.silverstonetek.com/product.php?pid=184
These are $38 inc GST - so the price is fair.

I have three of the original coolermaster ones, they work fine but the
grilles do choke up quickly.  Also swapping a drive is a bit of a process.

Or if spindles is more important than cost/storage you could go for this
and have 12x 2.5" drives in your three 5.25" bays.
http://www.icydock.com/goods.php?id=114
No idea on a NZ price for these.

--
Criggie