[mythtvnz] HTPC Configuration for combined front/back end

Nick Rout nick.rout at gmail.com
Sun Nov 17 23:05:23 GMT 2013

On Fri, Nov 8, 2013 at 2:34 PM, Bruce Wilson <acaferacer at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 8 November 2013 12:57, Alex Marshall <alexmnz at yahoo.com> wrote:
>>
>>  Hi Thanks for all your responses to my first ever post. Very helpful.
>>
>> I am looking at hardware configuration now. So for a combined front/back
>> end running MythTV and potentially MythWeb in the future.
>> TV recording and watching only and must do HD to my Panasonic Vierra
>> through HDMI.
>>
>> Case:  Antec New Solution NSK 4000-B II Mid Tower Case, Black/Silver
>> Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-78LMT-S2P Motherboard, Socket AM3+, AMD 760G,
>> 2xDDR3, 1xPCIe-16, 1xPCIe-1, VGA, DVI, RAID, M-ATX
>> CPU: AMD A6-5400K 3.6 GHz, Socket FM2, Trinity
>> Hard drive: Western Digital Green WD20EZRX Hard Disk Drive, 2000GB,
>> 5400-7200rpm, 64MB Cache, SATA 6 Gb/s
>> Memory:  G.Skill RipjawsX F3-12800CL9D-4GBXL, 2x2GB, DDR3-1600, PC3-12800,
>> CL9, DIMM
>> Keyboard:  Logitech Desktop MK120 Keyboard & Mouse, USB, Black
>> Power supply: Silverstone Strider Essential ST40F-ES, 400W ATX PSU, Active
>> PFC, Black
>> TV Tuner:   Hauppauge WinTV HVR-2210
>> TV Tuner Card 2: Hauppauge WinTV HVR-1110
>>
>>  My questions are as follows:
>> 1. This seems quite expensive to watch and record TV how can I cut the
>> cost
>> 2. Was thinking of dropping storage to 1TB as only using PC for one
>> purpose. Is this enough
>> 3. Do I need a Video card for playback or will onboard graphics processor
>> on CPU cope
>> 4. Will this set-up be quiet enough for the living room.
>> 5. Does anyone have a better configuration using parts I can still buy
>> now.
>
> Hi,
> Can do a working setup for cheaper
>
> HP XW4600 Workstation Intel Dual Core
> http://www.trademe.co.nz/computers/desktops/no-monitor/auction-658948479.htm

Just to comment on that machine:

I bought that machine as it looked quite good to replace my Sempron 1G
RAM 'slow as a wet week' backend machine.

Pros: 5 sata headers on the motherboard, plus an addin card with 4 more.
Nice HP case with tool less addition of drives and addin cards
Faster than my previous.and 4x the RAM
Quite quiet, although it will go in a cupboard when our house is
fixed, in the meantime it is acceptable in the lounge.
Came with a nvidia riva video card, which reportedly does VDPAU, but
has only two DVI ports on it. I won't be using it as a frontend and
DVI-HDMI cable worked fine for configuring it.

Cons: Only designed for two 3.5 inch drives plus a floppy slot plus
3x5.25in slots.

Solution: (1) I managed to put a hard drive in the floppy slot at the
expense of the bevel fitting back on the front properly. I think sugru
or blutack will sort that.

(2) I am hoping that one of these
http://www.computerlounge.co.nz/components/componentview.asp?partid=15402
will enable me to tidily put up to 4 hard drives where the three 5.25
slots are (I don't need a dvd drive).

Overall: It is working fine as a backend server, and with the addition
of an HDMI card would work well as a frontend at the same time. If you
are OK with analogue sound, it should work as a frontend as is. Be
aware though that not every similar second hand machine will have the
same video card (although it should have something of workstation
class).