[mythtvnz] Price estimate for new system

Curtis Walker sultanoswing at gmail.com
Mon Nov 11 22:46:08 GMT 2013

On 12 November 2013 11:07, Robert Fisher <robert at fisher.net.nz> wrote:
> I have lurked here for ages but I have to admit that WAF has been pretty
> good with the TiVo she bought a few years back so I have not used MythTV for
> quite a while.
>
> Now that her TiVo has died we have to decide on an alternative which will
> keep the WAF up.
>
> Has anyone here recently built or priced a MythTV setup with the following:-
>
> (I have no problem building it and following advice and instructions)
>
> Combined Frontend/Backend to sit under a TV
> Reasonably small form factor

There are plenty of nice small mini-ATX cases around, which, if used
with low powered and fanless components (such as an drive for fast
booting and quiet/low power draw) would do nicely.

> At least two tuners (DVB-T) (Should I use HDHomerun?)

I prefer PCI-e cards myself (HVR2210, 2200), but others advocate
strongly for the HD homerun - both will do the job just fine

> Decent storage

As discussed recently on this list, that depends on your definition of
"decent". If you watch & delete, 1-2TB will be fine - WD "red" drives
were suggested the other day - I have no experience with them. If you
like to hoard and not delete stuff, you'll be wanting 3TB + - although
you caould start small and add to it - and of course it can be in a
different room / box via the network

> Fairly quiet

See above. An SSD and efficient power supply will help. A fanless
graphics card (I recommend NVIDIA for it's good linux integration and
VDPAU decoding) wuch as a GT620 will be OK if you just want a small,
quiet mythTV box.

> Wireless (I have a usb wireless dongle)
> Remote (wireless keyboard and mouse is acceptable if recommended)

I use & recommend the Logitech K400 wireless keyboard / mouse combo.
But then I use my HTPC as much as a "PC" and an "HT" box.