[mythtvnz] Hello from Newbie

Nick Rout nick.rout at gmail.com
Thu Nov 7 02:51:02 GMT 2013

On Thu, Nov 7, 2013 at 2:48 PM, Don Robertson <don at robertson.net.nz> wrote:

> On 07/11/2013 13:24, Jonathan Hoskin wrote:
>
> Hi - also a newbie on the list - but have been using mythtv for a while.
>
> About top-posting. Some people really get their knickers in a twist about
> it - but I don't think it is possible to avoid it if you are using, for
> example, the default Android mail app.

Rulez is rulez.

> Personally, if people trim all the irrelevant info from the post, I don't
> mind.
>
> Anyway - I am running a Silicon Dust Homerun from Nicegear.co.nz, and am
> very happy with it. The downside is that you need to find a remote or
> wireless keyboard to work with the Myth box. I got a cheap one on Trademe,
> which is okay for scheduling recordings and watching them, but I also use a
> keyboard or the Mythmote android app for editing things, getting into menus
> etc.

I am not sure why this is a downside of an HDHR as you need a remote in any
event. Some tuner cards seem to come with a remote, but this seems to be
getting rarer.

This remote is top notch:

http://rtr.ca/sapphire_remote/

I have 6 of them. They are also good with xbmc

http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Sapphire_Remote

> I have backend and frontend machines, both running on some core 2 duo's I
> got on Trademe for about $100 each - which was a pretty good price, I
> think. They both have 2gb ram.
>
> I installed from a Mythbuntu cd, and have updated MythTV from 0.26 to 0.27
> almost completely painlessly.
>
> I also run MythTV front end on my laptop.
>
> My front end and laptop connect via wireless to the network.
>
> This is working pretty well. There can be problems if the system is
> recording, ad zapping, playing recording all at the same time. I am going
> to look into where the problems are occurring - a cursory examination does
> not show ram or cpu being maxed out.
>
> I can also have a problem if I start copying large files over the wireless
> while trying to watch TV. One day I'll add a cable.
>
> I should also put a better graphics card in the front end - I am not
> running it at full HD, and am using a dvi to hdmi cable. So I don't get the
> sound from the mythtv front end going through the TV.
>
> Hope this helps. I am thinking of replacing the Frontend with an old P4 3
> ghz machine I have to see if that will cope, so I can use the core 2 duo
> for something else. One day, when I don't have anything else to do :-)

I run a couple of front ends on HP DC7100 machines (P4, about 2.8GHz) -
each with low profile nvidia cards, one GT220, one GT520. They work well,
but that's the nvdia VDPAU acceleration doing the work. They were dirt
cheap on trademe as were the cards, and of course the remote listed above.