[mythtvnz] Hello from Newbie

Don Robertson don at robertson.net.nz
Thu Nov 7 01:48:09 GMT 2013

On 07/11/2013 13:24, Jonathan Hoskin wrote:

Hi - also a newbie on the list - but have been using mythtv for a while.

About top-posting. Some people really get their knickers in a twist
about it - but I don't think it is possible to avoid it if you are
using, for example, the default Android mail app.

Personally, if people trim all the irrelevant info from the post, I
don't mind.

Anyway - I am running a Silicon Dust Homerun from Nicegear.co.nz, and am
very happy with it. The downside is that you need to find a remote or
wireless keyboard to work with the Myth box. I got a cheap one on
Trademe, which is okay for scheduling recordings and watching them, but
I also use a keyboard or the Mythmote android app for editing things,
getting into menus etc.

I have backend and frontend machines, both running on some core 2 duo's
I got on Trademe for about $100 each - which was a pretty good price, I
think. They both have 2gb ram.

I installed from a Mythbuntu cd, and have updated MythTV from 0.26 to
0.27 almost completely painlessly.

I also run MythTV front end on my laptop.

My front end and laptop connect via wireless to the network.

This is working pretty well. There can be problems if the system is
recording, ad zapping, playing recording all at the same time. I am
going to look into where the problems are occurring - a cursory
examination does not show ram or cpu being maxed out.

I can also have a problem if I start copying large files over the
wireless while trying to watch TV. One day I'll add a cable.

I should also put a better graphics card in the front end - I am not
running it at full HD, and am using a dvi to hdmi cable. So I don't get
the sound from the mythtv front end going through the TV.

Hope this helps. I am thinking of replacing the Frontend with an old P4
3 ghz machine I have to see if that will cope, so I can use the core 2
duo for something else. One day, when I don't have anything else to do
:-)

Having said all that - I just remembered that I started to document it
all here (http://www.robertson.net.nz/documentation/mythtv) but never
added to it. Oh well.

--
Don Robertson