[mythtvnz] Mythfrontend fails to connect to database

Paulgir paulgir at gmail.com
Thu Jul 25 21:42:42 BST 2013

On Fri, 19 Jul 2013 13:44:48 +1200, Stephen Worthington
<stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz> wrote:

> On Fri, 19 Jul 2013 07:58:07 +1200, you wrote:
>

>> Can I just say to everyone while we are vaguely on the subject, I make
>> it
>> a policy when setting up mythtv to NEVER set things up to work through
>> localhost. It is tempting to do so, but the moment you want to add an
>> external frontend (and you will want to one day) you'll have a world of
>> pain.
>>
>> Pick an IP address and hostname for the backend that you can live with,
>> fix it and never change it. If you get a new backend, call it by the
>> same
>> hostname as the old one and give it the same IP address.
>>
>> End of rant.
>>

>> It seems I wrote too soon.
>> As with all intermittent problems,they do have the opportunity to mess
>> with you and this is no exception.Yesterday after making Stephen's
>> suggested changes the system started correctly over several reboots,then
>> last night it reverted to the fault behaviour.
>> Next I'll try Nick's suggestion of introducing a delay in the mysql
>> startup script.
>>
>> Am I correct that the script to add the delay to would be mysql.conf?
>>
>> -Paul
>
> That would seem to be the right place.  Not having had to fiddle with
> mysql's startup, I am not sure exactly what it requires.  But the
> obvious thing to try first would be to add the same "net-device-up"
> conditions that you are using for mythbackend.  If you have set up
> mysql for using remote frontends, then you will have followed the
> instructions for that and modified the /etc/mysql/my.cnf file to
> comment out the "bind-address=127.0.0.1" line, so mysql will now need
> to be able to bind all the network interfaces on startup.

I have been playing around with this problem since my last post here.
Introducing a start delay to mysql to wait for the network did not help
,neither did adding a delay to mythbackend.conf.Nor did changing DataBase
server settings from localhost to the backend IP address.
I don't know what caused it,but yesterday I was unable to shutdown the
system.It would hang at the Mythbuntu shutdown screen.
Hitting ESC let me see the shutdown messages from the kernal?, the last
one was 'writing software time to hardware' then a cursor.I don't know if
this is relevant.
I was in the process of diagnosing this today and the shutdown problem
came right.
It did fail to shutdown several time today.There was nothing to see in the
logs.I guess logging services had already stopped.
I did try the command: sudo /sbin/shutdown -P now and this failed to work.

Anyway this has come right,apparently.
I was thinking perhaps a delay to the frontend start might work.

My question is: what initiates the front end start.There does not appear
to be a frontend equivalent to mythtv-backend.conf.

-Paul