[mythtvnz] Mythfrontend fails to connect to database

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Fri Jul 19 02:44:48 BST 2013

On Fri, 19 Jul 2013 07:58:07 +1200, you wrote:

>Can I just say to everyone while we are vaguely on the subject, I make it
>a policy when setting up mythtv to NEVER set things up to work through
>localhost. It is tempting to do so, but the moment you want to add an
>external frontend (and you will want to one day) you'll have a world of
>pain.
>
>Pick an IP address and hostname for the backend that you can live with,
>fix it and never change it. If you get a new backend, call it by the same
>hostname as the old one and give it the same IP address.
>
>End of rant.
>

>It seems I wrote too soon.
>As with all intermittent problems,they do have the opportunity to mess
>with you and this is no exception.Yesterday after making Stephen's
>suggested changes the system started correctly over several reboots,then
>last night it reverted to the fault behaviour.
>Next I'll try Nick's suggestion of introducing a delay in the mysql
>startup script.
>
>Am I correct that the script to add the delay to would be mysql.conf?
>
>-Paul

That would seem to be the right place.  Not having had to fiddle with
mysql's startup, I am not sure exactly what it requires.  But the
obvious thing to try first would be to add the same "net-device-up"
conditions that you are using for mythbackend.  If you have set up
mysql for using remote frontends, then you will have followed the
instructions for that and modified the /etc/mysql/my.cnf file to
comment out the "bind-address=127.0.0.1" line, so mysql will now need
to be able to bind all the network interfaces on startup.