[mythtvnz] Mythfrontend fails to connect to database

Jason Taylor killerkiwi2005 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 16 23:20:44 BST 2013

I have had this before if the backend is on an external ip and the ip is
not yet available when the frontend starts (for what ever reason, kids
pulled the cord etc)

I usually just manually edit the config files in ~/.mythtv to use localhost
instead of the ip

On 17 July 2013 10:06, Paulgir <paulgir at gmail.com> wrote:

> I have been getting FE start failures,when booting the system, where the
> desktop ends up at a Language selection screen.
> To get out of that I hit esc which takes me to a Database setup screen
> with a message that mythtv failed to connect to the local database ,was the
> address correct? etc.Hitting esc again takes me to the xfce desktop and the
> front end automatically restarts.
> The system is a combined BE/FE and this failure does not always occur.The
> BE never fails to start and record any scheduled programmes.
> This hasn't been much of a hassle ,as hitting esc restarts the FE.
>
> in FE log I get this:
>
> Jul 17 09:16:13 myth mythlogserver: mythfrontend[1494]: N CoreContext
> mythcontext.cpp:493 (LoadDatabaseSettings) Empty LocalHostName.
> Jul 17 09:16:13 myth mythlogserver: mythfrontend[1494]: I CoreContext
> mythcontext.cpp:501 (LoadDatabaseSettings) Using localhost value of myth
> Jul 17 09:16:13 myth mythlogserver: mythfrontend[1494]: I Logger
> logging.cpp:306 (run) Added logging to the console
> Jul 17 09:16:13 myth mythlogserver: mythfrontend[1494]: E CoreContext
> mythdbcon.cpp:216 (OpenDatabase) Unable to connect to database!
> Jul 17 09:16:13 myth mythlogserver: mythfrontend[1494]: E CoreContext
> mythdbcon.cpp:217 (OpenDatabase) Driver error was [1/2002]:#012QMYSQL:
> Unable to connect#012Database error was:#012Can't connect to local MySQL
> server through socket '/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock' (2)
>
> I think it might be timing problem but am not sure.
>
> Paul

"Weekends don't count unless you spend them doing something completely
pointless. " - Calvin