[mythtvnz] Mythfrontend fails to connect to database

Paulgir paulgir at gmail.com
Tue Jul 16 23:06:56 BST 2013

I have been getting FE start failures,when booting the system, where the
desktop ends up at a Language selection screen.
To get out of that I hit esc which takes me to a Database setup screen
with a message that mythtv failed to connect to the local database ,was
the address correct? etc.Hitting esc again takes me to the xfce desktop
and the front end automatically restarts.
The system is a combined BE/FE and this failure does not always occur.The
BE never fails to start and record any scheduled programmes.
This hasn't been much of a hassle ,as hitting esc restarts the FE.

in FE log I get this:

Jul 17 09:16:13 myth mythlogserver: mythfrontend[1494]: N CoreContext
mythcontext.cpp:493 (LoadDatabaseSettings) Empty LocalHostName.
Jul 17 09:16:13 myth mythlogserver: mythfrontend[1494]: I CoreContext
mythcontext.cpp:501 (LoadDatabaseSettings) Using localhost value of myth
Jul 17 09:16:13 myth mythlogserver: mythfrontend[1494]: I Logger
logging.cpp:306 (run) Added logging to the console
Jul 17 09:16:13 myth mythlogserver: mythfrontend[1494]: E CoreContext
mythdbcon.cpp:216 (OpenDatabase) Unable to connect to database!
Jul 17 09:16:13 myth mythlogserver: mythfrontend[1494]: E CoreContext
mythdbcon.cpp:217 (OpenDatabase) Driver error was [1/2002]:#012QMYSQL:
Unable to connect#012Database error was:#012Can't connect to local MySQL
server through socket '/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock' (2)

I think it might be timing problem but am not sure.

Paul