[mythtvnz] Recording dropouts and disk performance...

Rob Connolly rob at webworxshop.com
Sat Feb 16 02:32:18 GMT 2013

Hi All,

Over the past couple of weeks I've had a few recordings drop out after
several minutes. Today I finally got around to looking in the log files
for one of the affected recordings:

2013-02-14 21:38:59.782815 E [1609/24862] DVBRead ThreadedFileWriter.cpp:217 (Write) - TFW(/mnt/recordings/1001_20130214083000.mpg:110): Maximum buffer size exceeded.
                        file will be truncated, no further writing will be done.
                        This generally indicates your disk performance
                        is insufficient to deal with the number of on-going
                        recordings, or you have a disk failure.

My disk setup is 2x2TB drives set up using software RAID 1 and LVM, with
the system and database partitions being hosted on the same drives as
the recordings. This setup has worked fine until recently - I did have
one drive die a while back, but I returned it under warranty.

I've looked in the system logs and SMART data and don't see anything
to indicate that a drive is failing, so I'm confused as to why this
has only started recently as nothing has changed in my setup.

There seem to be several other people around the internets having
similar issues, but no solutions are proposed.

Has anyone else here had a similar issue? Or does anyone have any tips
for tuning/cleaning up that my help the disk performance?

Thanks in advance,

Cheers,

Rob