[mythtvnz] Any bought from Kaiser Baas Australia

Nick Rout nick.rout at gmail.com
Wed Aug 21 10:16:33 BST 2013

On Wed, Aug 21, 2013 at 8:54 PM, <ajp at cantabrian.co.nz> wrote:

> >>Just wondering if anyone had dealt with http://www.kaiserbaas.com  I am
> keen to move to HD recording and HDHomeRun. As I understand it the Kaiser
> Baas >>HDHomeRun is a rebranded SiliconDust :
> >>
> >>http://www.kaiserbaas.com/tv-radio-category/network-tv-tuner
> >>
> >>Also they ship to NZ, not just as a possible option but “FREE SHIPPING
> AU/NZ $0.00” for  AU $129, which according to the Kiwibank website is NZ
> $140.88
> >>
> >>I could source it in NZ through NiceGear but its $205 incl gst and
> shipping.
> >>
> >>I am currently running Myth 0.25-6 on Fedora 16
> >>
> >>Any feedback appreciated.
> >
> >Buy from nicegear.co.nz. Supports mythtv and open source.
>
> Not sure if I understand you, are you saying the products are different or
> that the Kiwi company should be supported as it supports MythTV ?
>
> I try to support Kiwi firms but a $65 price difference is quite a bit :-)
>
> Ta

I don't know if the product is different, I suspect it is the same. Hads at
nicegear has been fantastic to me and I have never met a dissatisfied
customer. He went out of the way for me after the 2011 earthquake when I
urgently needed networking gear to get my business running.

In fact I helped hook him up his distribution arrangement for the HD
Homerun, but have no financial or other pecuniary interest in whether he
sells any. I just simply think he is a great guy, supports open source,
supports mythtv and deserves our support, rather than some Australian
retailer probably owned by capitalist wankers.

Bloody ironic that a NZ product is cheaper to buy from Australia than from
NZ (yeah I know they aren't made here and their main office is in the US,
but there are kiwis behind it).