[mythtvnz] [OT] Home Automation

tortise tortise at paradise.net.nz
Tue Aug 20 01:16:40 BST 2013

On 19/08/2013 9:07 p.m., Nick Rout wrote:
> Does anyone have any clues as to home automation products in NZ?
>
> Parameters:
>
> 1. Must work with linux
>
> 2. Must have lighting modules to dim my lights when playback starts (see
> it is on topic)
>
> 3. Mustn't have a need for expensive installer people.
>
> 4. X10 seems to be panned by many people, z-wave may be OK.
> Recommendations welcome on the particular technology, reliability and
> price will be important.

Actually I think the requirement could be refined by clarifying the
nature of the lights, a significant topic all in itself i.e. are we
talking incandescent, fluoresent and / or LED?  Assuming all three is a
big ask.... What is the respective load of each type?!!!

A working mechanical servo from a pi is not to be sneezed at as it
largely sidesteps compliance issues.  Maybe combine a touch dimmer plate
connected also to the pi to also run manual dimming?  (Presumably also
required?)