[mythtvnz] [OT] Home Automation

Neil Henwood nhenwood.lists at gmail.com
Tue Aug 20 00:24:03 BST 2013

On Mon, Aug 19, 2013 at 09:07:16PM +1200, Nick Rout wrote:
> Does anyone have any clues as to home automation products in NZ?
>
> Parameters:
>
> 1. Must work with linux
>
> 2. Must have lighting modules to dim my lights when playback starts (see it
> is on topic)
>
> 3. Mustn't have a need for expensive installer people.
>
> 4. X10 seems to be panned by many people, z-wave may be OK. Recommendations
> welcome on the particular technology, reliability and price will be
> important.

I've not used it but Clipsal do a wireless option of there C-BUS solution
that is suppose to work with Linux once the drivers are installed. This
is also compatible with there wired options so does provide for expansion
as time goes on, but I do know that comes with the $$$ downside, but the
reliability upside. They have some good forum info too if you google
for it.

I've beta tested some Instion devices and seem to work Ok, but never had
a PC controller to use but reports are it works Ok with Linux. Good that
it has both RF and Wireline comms to improve reliability which is a
downfall of X10.

I have used some X10 devices as well, but no longer can control them as
the PC and Wireless remote interfaces have died due to power spikes. When
I did have it working I was testing with LinuxMCE in preparation of
migrating my Myth box over to do a similar thing that you are looking at.
It worked well, but controller has died as mentioned so has not been
implemented. Personally I wont use X10 again. Do you want to buy the
interfaces that I have?

I havent got a chance to get Myth integrated  with any of it yet. Dont
really have the time or the money. But want to get back to it one day.

I am training the Kid option mentioned, but fear that there will be some
resistance and input request failure to ongoing commands once age gets
into double digits.

HTH

Neil