[mythtvnz] [OT] Home Automation

Mark markk at kc.net.nz
Mon Aug 19 19:19:48 BST 2013

On Mon, 2013-08-19 at 21:38 +1200, criggie wrote:
> On 19/08/13 21:34, yuri wrote:
> > On 19 August 2013 21:07, Nick Rout wrote:
> >> Does anyone have any clues as to home automation products in NZ?
> > My needs are similar but simpler.
> > I just want a linux compatible board with relays that I can turn on
> > and off by sending it simple commands from a linux box.
> > Any suggestions?
> Have kids
> Wait a couple years
> Yell at them to shut the curtains, turn on the lights, or whatever else
> you want to automate.

I bought a KMTronic board a couple of years ago to primarily use as an
irrigation and outside lighting controller. Have a look at
http://sigma-shop.com/category/4/relay-boards.html

I bought a serial model with an 8 relay board, if I was buying again I
think I'd go for the USB model.

I also started writing irrigation control software which I haven't done
much on over the past year as we've gone down the kids route as well :-)
This software is multi platform and can be found at
http://sourceforge.net/projects/aic-irrigation/files/

If someone has a look at it can they leave a message on sourceforge as
people have been regularly downloading the software but no one has
commented, raised an issue etc so I don't know if I haven't set the
sourceforge project up correctly or if it is the case that no one has
tried.

Cheers
Mark