[mythtvnz] [OT] Home Automation

Steve Hodge stevehodge at gmail.com
Mon Aug 19 13:45:45 BST 2013

On Mon, Aug 19, 2013 at 9:34 PM, yuri <yuridg at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 19 August 2013 21:07, Nick Rout wrote:
> > Does anyone have any clues as to home automation products in NZ?
>
> My needs are similar but simpler.
> I just want a linux compatible board with relays that I can turn on
> and off by sending it simple commands from a linux box.
> Any suggestions?

As tortise said, you can do this pretty easily with a Raspberry Pi or
Arduino if you're up to a bit of soldering/basic programming. For Ardunio
you can get preassembled "shields" such as
https://nicegear.co.nz/arduino-shields/relay-shield/, so you might be able
to get something working without any soldering (though that particular
shield isn't really suitable for switching mains power).

I've also used an almost pre-built solution from Jaycar: an Aviosys IP
Power 9202-E. It's an 4-relay module controlled via a built-in webserver.
It comes as two ready-built circuit boards (one for the controller, one for
the relays). The relays are rated for mains voltage though you'd want to
put it in a case for that. Jaycar don't seem to list it on their website
but I've seen it fairly recently in store. It works fairly well though the
software is buggy. Manual here:
http://www.aviosys.ru/download/manual/ippower9202_man.pdf

For an off-the-shelf mains solution you can get "managed" power boards
designed for use in equipment racks. Unfortunately they're generally
hideously expensive.

Cheers,