[mythtvnz] What is the best MythTV distribution to use? Or why MythTV hates only me.....

Nick Rout nick.rout at gmail.com
Sun Aug 11 22:28:44 BST 2013

On Sun, Aug 11, 2013 at 2:42 PM, Worik Stanton <worik.stanton at gmail.com>wrote:

> > I have no idea why you seem to be targeted by the gremlins in all your
> > Myth endeavours, but Mythbuntu is a good way to do MythTV.  Most of us
> > do not have the problems you seem to with Mythbuntu.  The only other
> > comprehensive MythTV system I know of is LinHES, which seems to have
> > evolved out of the old KnoppMyth distribution I used initially.
> >

> I have no idea how my series of disasters started.  My DVB stick was
> working to record a 6pm show on 8/8/13 and failed to record all shows
> afyter that.
>
> I updated the kernel version on 5/8/13 (and rebooted), and there was
> nothing odd in the logs (mythtv logs and syslog)  around the time the
> DVB stick stopped working.
>
> It did work once when I used the older kernel, but not after that.
>
> I then entered the aptitude purge... aptitude reinstall... reinstall
> mythbuntu cycle with the hellish results I shared with the list, but all
> my problems seemed opaque, I could find no where on the net people
> having the same problems as I, some similar ones from about 2006, but
> not the same.  Also it was worrying that I would have to muck around
> with mysql configurations.
>
> However I have managed to get a MythTV installation going and I do know
> what made the difference.
>
> I have been using a usb stick to install the system.  I used the same
> stick for each install, and I never seemed to be in the same place when
> I started fresh. Something was allways failing when thi was the exact
> version that had worked for me. I had a niggling worry, that I should
> have paid attention to earlier, that each install remembered my user
> names and machine names.
>
> Sure enough when I re formatted the stick and installed from that I am
> back where I was a week and a half ago.  Since I had been going
> backwards since then this is progress!  The installation process had
> been putting something (I do not know what) unhelpful back on the stick.
>  Some item of configuration I got wrong the first time....
>
> It was Stephen's comment "...Mythbuntu is a good way to do MythTV.  Most
> of us do not have the problems you seem to with Mythbuntu..." that
> pushed me into that corner.
>
> Thank you all for you patience

I have tried LinHES and it is very good. It is the successor to Knoppmyth
which gave me my first working myth install. However I have gone back to
mythbuntu for various reasons.

I don't know why you are getting so much grief. I installed mythbuntu 12.04
on two machines yesterday (to replace 10.04). Admittedly I was making a
frontend only, but it was all pretty easy.

I see from one of your posts a suggestion that you were using localhost for
your connection. Simply don't, particularly when I see reference to getting
remote machines to work.

As far as your DVB-T driver is concerned, check the firmware, in particular
that linux-firmware-nonfree is installed.